Friday, July 10, 2015

Knothole

This is it for us. Just me. Slowly freezing to death.
The last refuge of mankind, the last bastion of civilization
Once an entire family. Now only me. Our legacy.
Sitting alone in the cold, resting on a loose floorboard.
Quality time with the dead, buried below the floor.


While I freeze the monsters wait. Hungry.
Hopeful, I get up to look out the knothole on the wall.
My gaze is met by dead grey eyes. It moans.
They know I’m in here. They are patient.
They listen as I weep. And as I laugh. And then as I weep.


I had hoped someone would be left to see this winter through with me.
But alas the sickness took her like it took the others before her.
Chewing on the irony as I chew on her flesh.
Eating the past to live another day.
Only to die tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Ew. And, wow. Terrific and gross. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I like how it flows and those last lines together are great. Reminds me of the White Walkers from a Game of Thrones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both...

    ..and i was totally going for white walkers

    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both...

    ..and i was totally going for white walkers

    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you eat Gilly?
    I really hate it when they moan in that hungry way.
    "Am I a pie to you? Do I look like dessert? How 'bout some Reddi-wip?"

    Awesome writing, my friend. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ew, the horror. The superbly-written horror...

    ReplyDelete